The Golf ClubHistory

The early years at Pierre-à-Bot

The brainchild of Eugène de Coulon, a Neuchâtel industrialist returning from California, the club was founded in 1928 on the heights of Neuchâtel, at Pierre-à-Bot. The 9-hole course was maintained by a single gardener, Arnold Stucki, while his wife Mina ran the restaurant. The Neuchâtel Golf Club became an official member of the ASG in 1930.

A new course at Voëns

At the end of the 1960s, following the non-renewal of its rental lease, the Neuchâtel Golf Club was forced to seek a new address. The choice fell on the Domaine de Voëns – its current location. It was the ideal site for an 18-hole course, but planning permission was denied by the Saint-Blaise municipality, while the Canton refused to allow the area to be redesignated for sporting use.
However, thanks to the determination of its then President, Raoul de Perrot, the club won the case before the Federal Court. The budget passed in 1972 amounted to 3 million Swiss francs for the construction of the course and renovation of the buildings. The Voëns real estate company was founded in 1973 and became the owner of 50 hectares, subject to a right of first refusal for the municipality of Saint-Blaise.
The course plans were drawn up by the famous German architect Bernhard von Limburger. To finance the work, the club sold shares, very large numbers of which were acquired by some of its members. The "new" Neuchâtel Golf Club was officially inaugurated on 21 June 1975.
Unfortunately, the joys of the opening were followed by a harsh reality check. The total cost of the works proved to be much higher than the budget voted by the members and the club faced the very real threat of bankruptcy. Raoul de Perrot, Henri Du Pasquier, Denise Roethlisberger, Suzanne Roethlisberger, Denis Wavre and Robert Chatelanat granted the club large interest-free loans. Then, in November 1976, the 24 members of the newly created "Club of 24" undertook to pay an additional membership fee of CHF 1,000 per year. The club was thus saved and the individual loans were all paid off in full.

Neuchâtel, a changing club

In 1988, torrential rains forced the construction of a new dyke in accordance with federal guidelines. Between 1989 and 1992, the club also opened a pro-shop, a multipurpose room and cart room under the clubhouse terrace. In 1998, following an evaluation of the course by architect Peter Harradine, hole 12 was extended with the purchase of an additional plot of land and the 15th green was modified. Then, in 2004, at the instigation of President Serge Mérillat, holes 5 and 6 were modified, particularly with regard to the attack and size of the greens.